June 3, May 27 and May 20, 2011

Dear Listeners,

Again I have been away from pen and paper for far too long. My heart cries out, and yet I remain silent. But why?

For the last three weeks I have found barely a moment write, and yet it seems as if not a moment goes by in which I do not think of writing. Presently, I try to come up with some marginally worthy rationalization to offer you, some morsel of truth and yet each explanation seems more hollow than the last. 

"I have been busy" - the most common and utterly careless of all excuses.

"Work has been really busy" - there is nothing more cliche or banal.

"I have been terribly ill" - this might be suitable if it were even in the slightest bit true.

"I have been working three days a week, moving apartments and trying to enjoy the spring weather" - this is not much of an excuse, but it is the truth.

To be honest, each week I prepare myself to write something thoughtful and, I hope, worthy of your time. I sit down and begin with the best of intentions, "Dear Listeners . . .", and yet each week I come up with nothing but a smattering of overworked and underinspired lines. Eventually, after exploring a number of vacant poetic cul-de-sacs, I am left with only one nugget of truth, namely, if you have nothing good to say, don't say anything at all.

And thus I am here three weeks late without a single verse to offer. In lieu of that, I come baring approximately six hours of radio in hopes it will distract you from my literary shortcomings and poor correspondence. 

This is Rock And Roll Radio!

Here's the scoop:

Last week's show (June 3rd) was without guest or theme but focused on the outstanding work of recording artist Ronnie Dawson, with a side of miscellaneous surf and jive.

May 27th featured Freak of the Week Christina W in hour two spinning vinyl of all rock and roll varieties.

May 20th featured Freak of the Week Ben Needham playing 100% hardcore punk in hour two.

This coming Thursday (technically the morning of June 10th) the theme is Misfortune - bad luck women, bad luck men, hard knocks and tough breaks of all sorts. Stay tuned!


May 20, 2011 Highlights

HOUR ONE
Harry Starr - Step Into My World
Al Green - I Wish You Were Here
David Ruffin - I Miss You
Nathaniel Mayer - I Had A Dream
The Five Du-tones - The Flea
Wallace Brothers - Lover's Prayer
Shirley Brown - You'll Never Ever Know
Charles Bradley And The Manhattan Street Band - The World (Is Going Up In Flames)
The Five Du-tones - Let Me Love You
Step Aside Baby - The Lollipops 
HOUR TWO
Sham 69 - I Don't Wanna
Crass - Sucks
Germs - Strange Notes
Black Flag - Spray Paint The Walls
Solger - American Youth
Crucifix - Prejudice
Jesuz and the Gospelfuckers - Genocide Express
G.B.H. - Race Against Time
Sacred Shock - Closed Doors
Episode - Untitled
Vaaska - Ruido Hasta La Muerte
Negative Lifestyle - No System
Direct Control - Stay Blind
SS Decontrol - The Kids Will Have Their Say
D.O.A. - D.O.A.
M.D.C. - Dead Cops
Stretch Marks - Force Fucker
M.A.D. - Holocaust
Warkrime - Fuck it
Culo - Toxic Vision
P.M.R.C. - 9 to 5 Cannibal
Square Cools - I Don't Wanna Die For My Country
Really Red - I Refuse To Sing
Omegas - Sonic Order
Tear It Up - Through Being Cute
Total Abuse - The Same
Filth - Today's Lesson
Chickenhead - Born To Lose
Naughty Girls - Too Many Lies
Street Trash - Street Trash
Shoot It Up - Outta Control

May 27, 2011 Highlights
HOUR ONE
Bangers - Baby Let Me Bang Your Box
Lord Tanamo - Taller Than You Are
Gladys Knight And The Pips - Giving Up
Lord Tanamo - You Belong To My Heart
O.V. Wright - A Fool Can't See The Light
Mr. Clean - Mr. Clean
The Isley Brothers - Ohio Machine Gun
The Clovers - Crawlin'
Dynamos - Manhunt
Lord Tanamo - Mattie Rag (aka Ol' Matilda)
Bob Seger System - Ramblin' Gamblin' Man
Slim Harpo - Baby, Scratch My Back
The Fortune Tellers - Song of Nairobi Trio
Robert Munga - Holes

HOUR TWO
The Beegees - In My Own Time
The Troggs - With A Girl Like You
Mouse And The Traps - A Public Execution
Adam Faith - I Don't Need That Kind of Lovin'
Gino Washington - Come On And Monkey With Me
The Them - Baby Please Don't Go
The Modern Lovers - Roadrunner #2
Television - Venus
The Scruffs - I'm A Failure
Mott The Hoople - All The Way From Memphis
The Letters - Nobody Loves Me
Chris Bell - I Am The Cosmos
The Ramones - I Can't Make It On Time


June 3, 2011 Highlights

Garnet Mimms - Cry To Me
Tiny Watkins - A Soldier's Sad Story
The Dynamos - Woh! Woh! Yea! Yea!
The Versatones - Bila
Zombies - Time Of The Season
The Bobby Fuller Four - A New Shade Of Blue
Link Wray - Jack The Ripper
Link Wray - Fat Back
Surfaris - Wipeout
New Orleans Wanderers - Gate Mouth Blues
Honey Cone - Girls It Ain't Easy
Smith Casey - West Texas Blues
Link Wray - Ace Of Spades
Ronnie Dawson - Searchin' For My Baby
Ronnie Dawson - Straight Skirts
Ronnie Dawson - It's Love Baby (24 Hours A Day)
Ronnie Dawson - Fire, Fire, Fire (demo)
Ronnie Dawson - Make A Little Love
Ronnie Dawson - My First Love
Ronnie Dawson - Why Did You Cry
Ronnie Dawson - Baby Brother
Ronnie Dawson - Congratulations To Me (demo)
Ronnie Dawson - I Make The Love
Ronnie Dawson - Action Packed
Ronnie Dawson - Pauline
Ronnie Dawson - Rockin' Bones

And more!


Download / Podcast / Stream it all here:
PodOmatic | Podcast - Rock And Roll Radio

News / Events
A full weekend of class acts coming up:

Girls Go Crazy!
THIS THURSDAY
Thursday June 9th, prior to and during Rock And Roll Radio, DJs Christina and Tara go wild on the turntables at the Embassy, 223 Augusta. Second Thursday of each month.

Gunnar Hansen + Minimum Wage
THIS FRIDAY
Top secret, totally underground, live outdoor punk show presented by DJ Luke "The Wild Man" Forster. Email schooljerks@gmail.com for location details. Part of the Where We Screw Is Secret outdoor concert series that will continue throughout the summer.

Rock And Roll Radio DJ Night
THIS SATURDAY
Come out to the Henhouse (1532 Dundas west of Dufferin) this Saturday, June 11, 10 PM onward. Once a month you are permitted (and expected) to let your hair down and dance the night away. See attached image. Second Saturday of each month.

Rock And Roll Radio 
TshirtsAvailable for purchase in all shapes and sizes, black and white versions. Email caseysonofjohn@gmail.com for details.

THE END

Yours Truly,
The Rock And Roll Doctor

--
Rock And Roll Radio
Thursday night 12 to 2 AM on CIUT 89.5 FM in Toronto

Blog

Podcast
CIUT 89.5 FM
Email: rockandrollradio.ciut@gmail.com

Studio line: 416-946-7000